Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mm_tax_apprentice
Returning Member

How can I refile a return that has a net negative self-employment income (loss) when the desktop software gives a hard error?

3 Replies

How can I refile a return that has a net negative self-employment income (loss) when the desktop software gives a hard error?

What is the error message that you are getting?

mm_tax_apprentice
Returning Member

Thanks for reply.  I was on the phone and screen sharing with support yesterday, and they have taken the problem away for investigation.  Estimated reply was 7-10 days.  I'm using Turbotax Standard Desktop 2018 and my spouse had a net negative self-employment income (loss).  The original return submitted back in 2019 accepted this, and in fact the loss is tracked year to year until applied / consumed-out against positive revenue.  The REFILE however would not proceed with a negative value for income.  The error was immediate and popped up as a dialogue box, along with red flagging the negative value and would not proceed.  The support person had me delete unused forms manually from the return, but it did not resolve the error when we again tried to REFILE.  Other years have REFILED fine, but not this year when her business began and she had startup outlays that resulted in a negative net income value for that year.  I may have to log into CRA and "Change My Return" manually unless the support investigation resolves the error.

mm_tax_apprentice
Returning Member

Thank team for fixing this.  Whatever the repairs you made and left me a voice message to try again, it now worked this time.