Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user2350
Returning Member

How do I show that T4RIF income is tax exempt when there is no box to indicate this, only referenced on the T4RIF?

12 Replies

How do I show that T4RIF income is tax exempt when there is no box to indicate this, only referenced on the T4RIF?

Where is it referenced on the T4RIF that it is tax exempt? In which box is the amount included? When entering the information please make sure that you answer all questions on the slip as indicated on the image below. This will inform the software to calculate the tax accordingly if it is to be exempt.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

user2350
Returning Member

It is showing under my name/address stating "Tax Exempt, Indian status and a cert #.  Pension is from tax free income, but there is no way to indicate exempt on the form.  I have a letter also stating it is tax free.  Do I enter this as a T slip or just on the T90 form?

Please make sure you answer Yes to the question Are you a Canadian Indian as defined in the Indian Act? in the Personal Info page. This would make sure that your tax are deducted accordingly.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

user2350
Returning Member

I have indicated  Indian status, but as the T4RIF shows amount as taxable, turbo tax includes the amount as taxable income.  Do I show it as a Tulip or just show exempt income on form T90?

Do you have an amount in box 28 or box 36?

Thank you

user2350
Returning Member

I have amount paid in box 16 and 24, even though it is not taxable.  Nothing in box 28 as funds are exempt.

There is not a amount in box 36?

Is the amount in box 24 a withdrawal payment or

an amount transferred to a RRSP

or transferred to a RRIF

Thank you

user2350
Returning Member

It was not transferred to another investment, but income