Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you add work-from-home expenses for multiple dwellings in a reporting year?

It appears you can only enter data for one residence.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do you add work-from-home expenses for multiple dwellings in a reporting year?

Unfortunately, in TurboTax Online, there is no way to add two separate office space calculations. But there is a work around.

Add the square footage of both home office spaces and divide by two to get an average.  Also add the total square footage of both residences and divide by 2 to get an average, and then use the total of all expenses. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

TurboTax Online. 

Douglas

Unfortunately, in TurboTax Online, there is no way to add two separate office space calculations. But there is a work around.

Add the square footage of both home office spaces and divide by two to get an average.  Also add the total square footage of both residences and divide by 2 to get an average, and then use the total of all expenses. 

ellamjarvis1
Returning Member

I have the same question but I am using a downloaded version of Turbo Tax Standard. Is there a way to enter expenses for two homes as I moved part way through last year. Thanks

ellamjarvis1
Returning Member

I should clarify, I have self employment income so I need to enter the use of home deductions for that

@ellamjarvis1 You can either combine the two homes as above, or create a second T2125 that just has your business's basic info, and the expenses from the second location.

ellamjarvis1
Returning Member

Thanks!

Is it possible to create the second T2125 from the easy step method or would I need to go into forms to do that?

@ellamjarvis1 Yes, you can do it in EasyStep. When you get to the Business summary page, you can just click on the button to Enter a New Business