Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sccpguy

How to un-apply "tax credit respecting the Work Premium"? (free software, 2016 tax return)

I am not eligible for the Work Premium as I'm not Canadian/PR. I selected Quebec as my residence for tax purposes as I've established residential ties here. 

In the review section, there is a warning:
"A tax credit respecting the Work Premium has been calculated for you. You cannot claim this tax credit if..."
Other posts have mentioned that there is an option "Applies to Me". However, I cannot find this option anywhere. The only option available is "I acknowledge this warning", but with no further instructions.
When I select this option and review my application, the work premium is still being claimed in section E and F of the Revenu Quebec tax return (schedule P).

I just want to opt out of this tax credit.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to un-apply "tax credit respecting the Work Premium"? (free software, 2016 tax return)

This credit is assigned to Quebec residents automatically based upon your entry for province of residence as of December 31 of the tax year.

It is important to note that "residential ties" are not the only factor in determining residency for tax purposes. Depending on how long you've lived in Canada, you may be classified as a deemed resident. The Canada Revenue Agency can advise you on the proper residency status you should be using for your return. My best advice is to contact the CRA directly to ensure you're entering to right status.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

This credit is assigned to Quebec residents automatically based upon your entry for province of residence as of December 31 of the tax year.

It is important to note that "residential ties" are not the only factor in determining residency for tax purposes. Depending on how long you've lived in Canada, you may be classified as a deemed resident. The Canada Revenue Agency can advise you on the proper residency status you should be using for your return. My best advice is to contact the CRA directly to ensure you're entering to right status.

sccpguy

Thank you for your answer Jennifer. I checked with the CRA and Revenu Quebec and for the year of 2016, I am considered a resident of Canada and Quebec for tax purposes. However, since I was a full time student in 2016 I am not eligible for the Work Premium Tax Credit. Can I submit my 2016 tax return with Turbotax as a Quebec resident without this tax credit?

Thanks for the follow-up. I just recreated your situation on my TurboTax Free 2016. As soon as I put my tuition amount and full-time months, the work premium was eliminated automatically from my summary. Is line 456 on your Quebec return still showing an amount after you've input the tuition/months info?
sccpguy

I didn't fill out the tuition form. I think that's the problem. thank you for your help Jennifer!