Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hcowan709

I am a self employed commission salesman. Where do I enter my expenses?

1 Reply

I am a self employed commission salesman. Where do I enter my expenses?

We appreciate you choosing TurboTax

If the employer provides their employees with the T2200 Declaration of Conditions of Employment form, they may be able to claim certain employment expenses on their Income Tax and Benefit Return. There will be a section on the form that indicates the period of employment when you can claim expenses and the type of expenses you can claim.

You can use this form if your employer requires you to pay expenses to earn your employment income. Your employer must sign and approve the form.  Employers must complete Part B of the T2200 tax form and sign the Employer Declaration box. Expenses can be deducted on line 22900 of your Income Tax and Benefit Return.

Each employer must sign a separate form if you have more than one.

While you do not have to submit the T2200 form with your income tax return, you should keep it in case the CRA asks to see it. In case the CRA asks for copies, you will also need to keep a record of all the expenses you claim.

You will need to fill out the T777 Statement of Employment Expenses form to calculate your expenses on your tax return. If you are a transport employee, you will also need to fill out the TL2 Claim for Meals and Lodging Expenses form. To claim a GST/HST rebate, you must submit the GST/HST Rebate Application. You must submit these forms with your tax return.

Please visit the links provided for further clarifications:

TurboTax: Tax-Deductible Expenses for Commission Employees

TurboTax:  T2200 Form: Deduct your employment expenses in Canada

Please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter if you require further assistance.