Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vskhosa

I am self employed and my wife is salaried employee. Can she file her tax in the same TurboTax account as myself, but using Standard/ Deluxe rather than self-employment?

To clarify, does my wife need to create her own TurboTax account to do her tax or can she do under mine even if we are not filing the tax together? The reason is that she is not self-employed so she would rather not pay the extra cost for self-employment plan.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am self employed and my wife is salaried employee. Can she file her tax in the same TurboTax account as myself, but using Standard/ Deluxe rather than self-employment?

If you are using TurboTax Online, you will both need to use the Self-Employed version if you prepare your returns together. If you prepare your returns separately, then you can use different versions of the software.

If you want to use TurboTax CD/Download (for Windows 10/11), then you will still have to prepare your returns in the same version of the software. But you can use any version, as they all have the same forms. We would still recommend Home & Business as it provides more guidance in the Self-Employed/Business section.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are using TurboTax Online, you will both need to use the Self-Employed version if you prepare your returns together. If you prepare your returns separately, then you can use different versions of the software.

If you want to use TurboTax CD/Download (for Windows 10/11), then you will still have to prepare your returns in the same version of the software. But you can use any version, as they all have the same forms. We would still recommend Home & Business as it provides more guidance in the Self-Employed/Business section.