Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wlbrennen

I am using the free version to complete a return, I updated the medical expenses: receipts show, tax calculation is not updated. System does not work.

5 Replies

I am using the free version to complete a return, I updated the medical expenses: receipts show, tax calculation is not updated. System does not work.

Have you made sure that the 12 month period that you are claiming matches the dates of your medical expenses? If your expense are from before or after this period, then they won’t be claimed on your return.
wlbrennen

yes the expense was entered for 2018 (system does not request a specific date) and the period claimed covers 2018
wlbrennen

interesting - as the person died in 2018 I had the medical expense period ending on her death date. I just changed it to end Dec 31 and the tax calculation updated. The expense entry did not ask for a specific date. Thanks

You also need to have a minimum amount of medical expenses to be able to claim them. You can claim the total of the eligible expenses minus the lesser of the following amounts: $2,302 or 3% of your net income (line 236 of your tax return).
wlbrennen

yes, thanks. I understand the tax rules, the expense entered exceeded the amount. As mentioned the issues is resolved. The system does not have a date for the expenses entered, simply '2018' - the period of the expenses being claimed originally ended in October 2018, so the '2018' expense was being excluded. I changed the claim period to end Dec 31/18 and the system then included the expense. Regards