Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HamHam28
Returning Member

I had to dispose of my old computer monitor (A) as it stopped working. I bought a new one (B) to replace it. How do I update this data in turbo tax online?

I had also  bought a computer when I had originally bought the computer monitor (A). That computer is working fine but in turbo tax online I am only seeing one class that pools both items - Class 50. How do I ensure the correct information displays? I got zero dollars this year from disposing the monitor (A). I had to buy another monitor to replace it.
8 Replies

I had to dispose of my old computer monitor (A) as it stopped working. I bought a new one (B) to replace it. How do I update this data in turbo tax online?

You would enter the new monitor as an addition, and the old monitor as a disposition. The cost of the computer will stay in the CCA class pool and continue to depreciate, as you still own it.

HamHam28
Returning Member

It asks for me enter an amount for the "Total Proceeds" from the disposition of the monitor (A). I didn't get any money for it as I just ended up disposing of it. It wouldn't let me continue unless I had more than 0.00 in this field. When I put in 0.01 under "Total Proceeds" and pressed continue, the entire line was no longer in the page but the CCA to claim for the year under "Undepreciated capital cost UCC balances" changed. So I guess it worked?

HamHam28
Returning Member

Looks like I have found a bug in turbo tax. 

If the "Total Proceeds" for a CCA disposition is entered as 0.01 it does do something, and lets me hit continue but the LINE to show that disposition is nowhere to be found on the page. Now I have no idea if it was actually entered in my tax return or not. The "CCA to claim for the year" under "Undepreciated capital cost UCC balances" is lowered by $0.01, so I know it has done something, but again as the LINE for the disposition is no longer showing I have no idea if it is even in my tax return! Any advice would be appreciated. Is there a way I can preview my tax return without having to pay turbo tax first?  I just want to make sure the line was entered. And what if it was entered twice???? I have no way of checking as it does not show on the page it is supposed to!

Unfortunately, there is no way of seeing the actual T2125 form in TurboTax Online without paying. 

But if you are seeing the change on the UCC, then it there, it's just not visible. I will let our product development team know about this.

HamHam28
Returning Member

The issue is that I did it twice as I couldn't see the disposition line after I entered it... as I had no idea if it had worked. Now I need to know how to remove one of the disposition lines since I can't see them on the UCC page.

Honestly, it should be allowed to add a disposition where total proceeds can be entered as "0.00" because if something is broken and has to be thrown away you don't get anything back for that.

Any help would be appreciated as it would be a massive amount of work to start doing all my taxes again from scratch because of this bug.

HamHam28
Returning Member

Do you think this will be fixed any time soon well before the tax deadline? I need to fix one of the entries but I cannot fix what I cannot see.

Unfortunately, we don't have an ETA at this time. When I get an update, I will let you know.

Hello, please take a look and see if the disposition line is showing now. You may need to clear your browser cache if it doesn't show right away.