Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have 2 dependednts, trying to assign the credit for each one to a different parent, why is the software assigning both credits to whichever of us was last selected?

We should be able as parents to assign the credit for our dependants separately, not both  credits going to one parent...
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have 2 dependednts, trying to assign the credit for each one to a different parent, why is the software assigning both credits to whichever of us was last selected?

The correct answer was found after taking with an agent over telephone. It has nothing to do with lower income of one spouse.

The CD version of TurboTax does not allow this, for no obvious reason. It seems to have been built this way and Intuit doesn't care enough about this issue to have it fixed. Judging my older posts, this issue has been going for a long tine.

The Web version allows the user to distribute the credits to the desired parent. It just works the way the CD version should work.

I asked for a refund of the CD installation, on the grounds of not being able to do what the online version does. Buyer beware!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Please see our TurboTax article: Family Tax Deductions: What Can I Claim

Some credits are to be claimed by the lower income parent.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

The correct answer was found after taking with an agent over telephone. It has nothing to do with lower income of one spouse.

The CD version of TurboTax does not allow this, for no obvious reason. It seems to have been built this way and Intuit doesn't care enough about this issue to have it fixed. Judging my older posts, this issue has been going for a long tine.

The Web version allows the user to distribute the credits to the desired parent. It just works the way the CD version should work.

I asked for a refund of the CD installation, on the grounds of not being able to do what the online version does. Buyer beware!