Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ocius1

I'm not self-employed, but it suggests the self-employed option - how do I switch to the version for regular employees?

My only options to get started with my 2023 tax return are the self-employed options. It says I used self-employed last year, but that would not be something I chose.
5 Replies

I'm not self-employed, but it suggests the self-employed option - how do I switch to the version for regular employees?

Did you prepare your return last year with a spouse/common law partner? Where they self-employed last year? If so, that's why TurboTax is saying you used self-employed last year.

ocius1

No, neither of us have ever been self-employed.

The CRA considers these to be self-employment or business income:

• T4 slip: box 81, 82 or 83
  • T4A slip: box 20 or 48
  • T4A slip: box 28 and you answered Yes to the question Does the income declared in Box 028 consist of fees collected for services you provided? in TurboTax Online
  • T3 slip: box 24 (foreign business income)
ocius1

None of those apply to us.

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.