Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
axcfuxma2

I'm self-employed and paid a subcontractor. I've scoured the self-employment section. Does anyone know where to input this in Turbo Tax?

5 Replies

I'm self-employed and paid a subcontractor. I've scoured the self-employment section. Does anyone know where to input this in Turbo Tax?

You can add subcontractor expenses on T2125. Follow the following steps to fill in T2125. 

Log in to your account and open your return --> Income --> self-employment --> fill in the profile and you can claim your income and expenses in the T2125 form.

“Inventory” is part of the Self-Employment interview (Income> Self-Employment). It will appear after the “Identification of your business” and “Identification of your partners (if applicable)” if you are creating a new business.

If you have already created a business in TurboTax Online Self-Employed, you can go straight there by choosing “Self-Employment Summary” from under “Self-Employment” in the “Income” tab. Click “Edit” next to your business and then click on “Income and inventory”. Click on “Skip Income” to go to the “Inventory” section.

There you can put your amounts paid for sub-contractors in the space for “Did you hire any Subcontracts?”. Even though the description only mentions goods, it applies to services as well. If you use the “Salaries, Wages and Benefits” spot under Business Expenses, the CRA will expect you to have run a proper payroll (EI, CPP, issued slips, etc…).

For more information, please see:

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us

NBpaddles

I am sorry but these instructions do not work.

There must be something that triggers the sub-contract line to appear because it does not appear for me.

I am verifying it with the team and I will get back to you soon.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I have tried again and it is now working- so once you are at What is your business income- continue the following page you should see "did you sell products that you bought or manufactured?" When you click on Yes, it will open the list of inventory- and under there you will find "Cost of subcontracts hired".

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

jnsalmon
Returning Member

This is not working for me either. I've tried looking for the "inventory" option but nothing is showing up. It's only allowing me to input income. It's not even an option for it under "expenses"