Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lisphilp

I may need to have my 2014 return reassessed. And I am unsure about the 2015 year.

2014 year: I was in Canada for only 6 months of the year ending 31 Dec 2014. The fellow I spoke to (at the CRA office I believe) told me not to worry about my previous income because a) my home tax year ends 31March and b) because of the fact that my 2014 NZ tax return was final AND I had only 2 months taxed income before I came to Canada. When I questioned him he was very vague, said the international unit would advise when I filed.
What evolved was a reduction in the refund I had calculated. My concern is not that I received less but that I have not filed correctly.
I left Canada at the end of February 2015, 2 months into the tax year.
My accountant here is dealing with the NZ tax return for the year ending 31 March 2015 and has all the details of my income from 1 April 2014 to 31 March 2015 including the CRA assessment and refund details.

Is this something you can assist me with please?
kind regards
Lis
[removed for security]
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I may need to have my 2014 return reassessed. And I am unsure about the 2015 year.

I would recommend asking your NZ accountant to look into it.  Unfortunately, much depends on how the CRA views your residency while you were in Canada.  For the most part, unless you were hoping for a refund, you would possibly not need to file in Canada. 

For 2014, you would have been considered a "deemed resident" of Canada since you were here over the 183 days, and required to pay tax on income earned in Canada. In 2015, you would only be required to pay tax on the Canadian income here. These are the places to get the best information,  Unfortunately the time difference is about 12 hours give or take.

International tax and non-resident enquiries

Office address:
2204 Walkley Road
Ottawa ON  K1A 1A8
CANADA

Individuals and non-resident trusts                      phone               613-940-8495

Individuals                                                               fax                  1-613-941-2505

View solution in original post

1 Reply

I would recommend asking your NZ accountant to look into it.  Unfortunately, much depends on how the CRA views your residency while you were in Canada.  For the most part, unless you were hoping for a refund, you would possibly not need to file in Canada. 

For 2014, you would have been considered a "deemed resident" of Canada since you were here over the 183 days, and required to pay tax on income earned in Canada. In 2015, you would only be required to pay tax on the Canadian income here. These are the places to get the best information,  Unfortunately the time difference is about 12 hours give or take.

International tax and non-resident enquiries

Office address:
2204 Walkley Road
Ottawa ON  K1A 1A8
CANADA

Individuals and non-resident trusts                      phone               613-940-8495

Individuals                                                               fax                  1-613-941-2505