Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
catzayu

I specifically chose to file my 2022 income tax for FREE but right before I could submit my tax file, I was asked to pay $49.99. How do I skip the payment step?

This is the first time I file my income tax using Turbotax. Previously I filed my income tax with a local, in-person tax clinic.
1 Reply

I specifically chose to file my 2022 income tax for FREE but right before I could submit my tax file, I was asked to pay $49.99. How do I skip the payment step?

If you were asked to pay before you could submit your tax file, it's possible that you might have exceeded the eligibility criteria for the free filing option. When starting a new return, TurboTax will ask questions about your current tax situation. Based on your return's complexity, you could be directed to a different edition of TurboTax that has all the applicable forms. 

For more information please visit TurboTax FAQs page: Who can file for free using TurboTax?

Why did I have to upgrade my TurboTax Online edition?

For more assistance you can contact TurboTax customer support telephone experts for help as they can view your screen.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.