Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I used TurboTax to do my taxes last year. I logged in with the same credentials, upgraded to standard and it's asking me to enter everything all over again. Why is that

I logged in to TurboTax 2015 and can see last year's return with all my information.  I don't want to enter everything again so I upgraded this year to Standard.  But it's asking me to type my name, birthday, SIN etc. all over again.  If I have to do that I'll just use the free version.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I used TurboTax to do my taxes last year. I logged in with the same credentials, upgraded to standard and it's asking me to enter everything all over again. Why is that

If you have logged into TurboTax Online 2016 with the same credentials you used for TurboTax Online 2015 when you create a new return from the Return Manager it will ask you if you want to carry forward your previous return.

Note that if you used TurboTax Free last year you will not be able to carry forward your info to this year's return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you have logged into TurboTax Online 2016 with the same credentials you used for TurboTax Online 2015 when you create a new return from the Return Manager it will ask you if you want to carry forward your previous return.

Note that if you used TurboTax Free last year you will not be able to carry forward your info to this year's return.

Thank you Jocelyn.  That explained it, I did use the free version last year.  

I was interested in the standard version this year mainly to carry forward my personal information so was a bit disappointed that it didn't do that.  My taxes are otherwise the same, the same 6 forms for me and 4 for my wife.

I would definitely be interested in upgrading to standard next year if it will bring forward my personal information from the free version I wound up using this year.