Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I am under 25 years old and using the Free version, verifying all the information myself without any help from any "expert" why am I still required to pay $15?

Why am I being punished for doing all the work myself? Is there any way to decline/override this unnecessary charge?
3 Replies

If I am under 25 years old and using the Free version, verifying all the information myself without any help from any "expert" why am I still required to pay $15?

Do you have any of the following: employment expenses, donations, medical expenses, investment income and expenses, rental property income and expenses, self-employed income and expenses? If yes, they are not included in TurboTax Free Online Software. Please follow this link to see what a simple free return includes.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Hi Inna, 

No I do not have any of the mentioned expenses, nor did I indicate any of them while filing my return. I had filled out all the same basic information as my parents had answered (maybe even less) and theirs didn't automatically get switched to deluxe and they were not required to pay. 

My returns are fairly straightforward, just employment income and TFSA and RRSP contributions.  

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to find the reason for the charge or refund you if needed. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.