Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brilor

My mother is considered disabled (approved T2201). Is there any way to override the disability amount to make a $0 claim?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My mother is considered disabled (approved T2201). Is there any way to override the disability amount to make a $0 claim?

Thank your for confirming.

In this situation, you will need to indicate that she is not disabled. But not to worry, this status change in the return does not invalidate the T2201 with the CRA.

To change the disability status, if you are in Forms mode, search for "DTC" form and select "No" to all the top questions. (See attached screenshot.) If you are in EasyStep, the flag is in the Contact Info section. (See attached screenshot.)

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Is there a particular reason you want to make this claim $0? I just don't want you to be giving up the credit unnecessarily.
brilor

it is more beneficial to claim the entire amount of attendant medical care that to claim the disability amount and a $10,000 max for attendant medical care.

Thank your for confirming.

In this situation, you will need to indicate that she is not disabled. But not to worry, this status change in the return does not invalidate the T2201 with the CRA.

To change the disability status, if you are in Forms mode, search for "DTC" form and select "No" to all the top questions. (See attached screenshot.) If you are in EasyStep, the flag is in the Contact Info section. (See attached screenshot.)

brilor

Thanks for your clarification and advice!
Doug40

The help guide "How to override an amount" in TurboTax provides the answer.

1. Place your cursor in the field that you want to override.
  2. Touch any key.

You'll receive a warning message about the override.

3. Click OK to clear this warning.
  4. Press F2.

You'll receive a second warning message about the override.

5. Click Yes to clear this warning.
  6. Enter the adjusted amount in the field and press Enter.

The overridden field appears in red.

I did this so that i could claim the full amount of nursing home payments (including accommodation) as a medical expense for my mother. If you claim the disability credit, then only $10,000 of nursing home expenses related to wages can be claimed at the same time.