Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tyler61

My T4a income from box 48 was imported from CRA but it is not showing on my self-employment/business income page. How do I get it to show without it being double counted?

There is a line at the bottom of the screen saying:

Self-employment commissions reports on T4A slips

That is correct there is no commissions (ie. box 20) reported on T4A, but there is "Fees for services" (ie. box 48) reported which are not showing at all on this screen. I could enter those manually in the Professional Fees box, but why doesn't it auto populate it? It looks like it would have auto-populated it if it was commissions. If I manually enter it in there, I'm afraid it will be be double counted. All the other answers to this question are never clear and just say something generic, like "you have to report the income"... but they don't address the fact that it is already included from the T4A which was imported.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
tyler61

My T4a income from box 48 was imported from CRA but it is not showing on my self-employment/business income page. How do I get it to show without it being double counted?

You just gave the same canned (and unhelpful) response that I warned against in my question. I figured it out, the issue is that when the T4A was imported it correctly had a value in box 48 but it didn't get assigned a type for the "Fees for services".  You have to go into the T4A in turbotax and find box 48. Near that box there will be a dropdown where you can specify the type of fees for services. It has a few options... but for me, nothing was selected. So I selected Professional Fees or something like from the drop down on the T4A within turbotax. Once I did that, the dollar value from box 48 automatically showed up on the Self-Employment/business income page. I hope this helps the next person. I find it frustrating that turbotax didn't prompt me to do this and instead seemed to always offer to upsell me on their paid assistance features right at this part of the process. I imagine the paid assistance would have solved it pretty quick.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

The amount in box 48 refers to fees you received for services that you provided during the year and is treated as self-employment income by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Therefore, this amount must also be reported as business or professional income on your tax return. (Which would be self-employed).

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

tyler61

You just gave the same canned (and unhelpful) response that I warned against in my question. I figured it out, the issue is that when the T4A was imported it correctly had a value in box 48 but it didn't get assigned a type for the "Fees for services".  You have to go into the T4A in turbotax and find box 48. Near that box there will be a dropdown where you can specify the type of fees for services. It has a few options... but for me, nothing was selected. So I selected Professional Fees or something like from the drop down on the T4A within turbotax. Once I did that, the dollar value from box 48 automatically showed up on the Self-Employment/business income page. I hope this helps the next person. I find it frustrating that turbotax didn't prompt me to do this and instead seemed to always offer to upsell me on their paid assistance features right at this part of the process. I imagine the paid assistance would have solved it pretty quick.

Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated. I will send this to the appropriate department.

lqrb2000

@tyler61 This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for posting the resolution!

tgobillot
Returning Member

Hi,

I feel your pain - mine too was auto populated from MyCRA but I didn't noticed that it didn't flow all the way thru.  I ended up with a re-assessment and a large tax bill and penalties.  The program should auto populate or at least prompt you to?  I spent over an hour on the phone with Turbo Tax and got no where.

NYL

I was having this problem because I had selected the "professional fees" from the dropdown on box 48.  However, when I switched to "business fees" in finally appeared as part of my self-employment income and my expenses were applied to it.

tgobillot
Returning Member

Thanks, good to know.