Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ver. Self Employed, I am not the self employed spouse. TT keeps re-checking the box saying I am Self-employed >5 times. Does this effect anything?

I am able to leave the province of self employment unselected.  I am just wondering it this may be causing issues anywhere else? 

4 Replies

Ver. Self Employed, I am not the self employed spouse. TT keeps re-checking the box saying I am Self-employed >5 times. Does this effect anything?

First, you’ll want to go to Income>Self-Employment>Self-Employment Summary and check if there are any businesses listed under your name. Delete them and then go back and uncheck the box.

If they don’t delete, you may have a T4A with amounts in box 20 or box 48; or a T4 slip with amounts in box 81, 82 or 83. Those boxes are considered self-employment income and require you to fill out the T2125 - Statement of Business or Professional Activities. You won’t be able to delete the business under your name, instead you will have to fill it out, or at least add the basic required information.

No luck.  I didn't have any info in those boxes.

Are you listed as a partner on your wife's business?

No.  I'm in a totally unrelated job.  I did a separate/alternate claim and it did the same thing so I think it must just be a glitch/something I'm over thinking.