Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amie-09

No matter what industry code I use, it's saying it's invalid. What's the correct industry code for applying designs onto clothing and other accessories and selling them?

I've changed the code mutiple times and it's still coming back as invalid. Is there a bug?
1 Reply

No matter what industry code I use, it's saying it's invalid. What's the correct industry code for applying designs onto clothing and other accessories and selling them?

Hi There

Thanks for your question! I have included a link for your review:
https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/finding-the-right-industry-code-for-your-business-tax-return-6150

Entering the proper industry code into your TurboTax return is an important step in maximizing your deductions and any items available for deduction. It's also important to stay consistent in your industry coding from year to year unless your business has drastically changed.

Use the following process to find your industry code:

1. Visit the website for the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS)
  2. Select the code that most closely represents your work. The page will then refresh with a new set of codes
  3. Continue selecting codes to narrow down your specific area of expertise until you reach a page containing six-digit codes
  4. Choose the code that most closely represents your work, and use that as your industry code

Note: If you have income from self-employment or if you own a small business, you'll also need to enter a six-digit industry code into your tax return (the CRA’s NETFILE service will reject your tax return if you use an incorrect or outdated code). Some sectors, sub-sectors, industry groups, and industry categories include an item that belongs with “Other.” You can choose that code if you're unable to find a code that's directly relevant to your scenario

Hope this helps!
- B