Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmsladen

How do I claim supplies needed for work as a referee?

In addition to my full time job, I started refereeing in 2015. I needed to purchase clothing and other accessories for this occasional work. For the referee work, I am obviously not "employed" like a normal job. I get no T4. Do I create a business for this or can the expenses and income be claimed as occasional earnings or something like that?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If it isn't a significant amount of income, you can report it as income not on a T4 slip.  You will find that under the income tab.  Bear in mind that clothing is not deductible as there is a Canada employment credit of $1,146 which is expect to help absorb some of those costs.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If it isn't a significant amount of income, you can report it as income not on a T4 slip.  You will find that under the income tab.  Bear in mind that clothing is not deductible as there is a Canada employment credit of $1,146 which is expect to help absorb some of those costs.

gmsladen

Thank you. What is and what isn't a significant amount of income?

I would think that if it is regular payments, through part of the year, and amounted to $3,000 or over, you would be better off to report it as self-employment.  That allows you to take deductions for expenses, such as travel, a portion of vehicle costs, etc, rather than just reporting the whole amount as income.