Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Line 131 (in the Net Federal Tax section of a T1 return) you show "Federal Surtax(see Guide)" ... What guide? How do I find it? I'm using a CD/off-line version..

on Line 131 (in the Net Federal Tax section of a T1 return) you show "Federal Surtax(see Guide)" ... What guide? How do I find it? I'm using a CD/off-line version..
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On Line 131 (in the Net Federal Tax section of a T1 return) you show "Federal Surtax(see Guide)" ... What guide? How do I find it? I'm using a CD/off-line version..

Please see the guide mentioned from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) 2023 Income Tax and Benefit Guide for Non-Residents and Deemed Residents of Canada – Completing you...

Line 131 – Federal surtax

This surtax is paid instead of a provincial or territorial income tax. If you did not have a business with a permanent establishment in Canada, multiply your basic federal tax (line 42900) by 48% and enter the result on line 131 of your return.

If you are reporting employment income in addition to eligible section 217 income, or if you had income from a business (including income you received as a limited or non-active partner) and the business has a permanent establishment in Canada, you have to pay provincial or territorial tax on that income. Complete Form T2203, Provincial and Territorial Taxes for Multiple Jurisdictions, to calculate the federal surtax on line 131 of your return and your provincial and territorial taxes (except Quebec) on line 42800 of your return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Please see the guide mentioned from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) 2023 Income Tax and Benefit Guide for Non-Residents and Deemed Residents of Canada – Completing you...

Line 131 – Federal surtax

This surtax is paid instead of a provincial or territorial income tax. If you did not have a business with a permanent establishment in Canada, multiply your basic federal tax (line 42900) by 48% and enter the result on line 131 of your return.

If you are reporting employment income in addition to eligible section 217 income, or if you had income from a business (including income you received as a limited or non-active partner) and the business has a permanent establishment in Canada, you have to pay provincial or territorial tax on that income. Complete Form T2203, Provincial and Territorial Taxes for Multiple Jurisdictions, to calculate the federal surtax on line 131 of your return and your provincial and territorial taxes (except Quebec) on line 42800 of your return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.