Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Portion of T776 not filling in

Online Turbo Tax only asks for Rental Expenses excluding Personal Portion, but does not calculate or ask what the personal portion of these expenses are
5 Replies

You must calculate the percentage of the income and expenses you want to claim based on the square footage of the building that you are occupying and renting out. 

As per Canada Revenue Agency: Completing Form T776, Statement of Real Estate Rentals

If you rent part of the building where you live, you can claim the amount of your expenses that relate to the rented area of the building. You have to divide the expenses that relate to the whole property between your personal part and the rented area.

You can split the expenses using square metres or the number of rooms you are renting in the building.

For example, if you rent 4 rooms of your 10-room house, you can deduct:

100% of the expenses that relate only to the rented rooms, such as repairs and maintenance of the rooms, plus
40% (4 out of 10 rooms) of the expenses that relate to the whole building, such as taxes and insurance.

Thank you for using TurboTax

Right, but when you look at schedule T776 it states total expense on one side & personal expense on the other. In the online portion of this it only asked for the expenses excluding personal amount. Therefore the form T776 technically is not filled out correctly with no way to input personal amounts

To help you further, can you tell me which online TurboTax are you using? 

Hi

I have the same problem. I need to show my personal portion on t776 .I'm using TurboImpôt Travailleur autonome en ligne 2023

There is no place to put your personal portion, which is why it asks you to not include any personal portion of these expenses. The personal portion of your expenses are not used as part of your return. They are on the forms to help someone who is manually calculating their return.

If the CRA wants more information about your rental expenses, then they will contact you after you've filed your return.