Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to pay tax on the income I earned in India?

I am an Indian Citizen and my first landing  as a PR was on Dec 2019 and  retuned back to India after a week.
I came back to Canada on July 2020 and started my employment in Canada.
Till the June 2020 I had employment earning from India.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Canadian residents are taxed on income earned worldwide.  In most cases, you must pay taxes in the country where you earned the income.

• If you’re a resident, you must declare any income earned outside of Canada on your Canadian tax return

• You will be taxed on this income in Canada. However, in case you have paid tax outside of Canada on this income, you can claim the tax as a foreign tax credit. The foreign tax credit is not a refundable credit but will reduce your tax payable in Canada. 

• In order to report properly your non-Canadian income, be sure to keep records of all your payment documents and copies of your income and tax returns. Our advice is to complete your non-Canadian income tax return before you file in Canada in order to determine the foreign tax credit that you can claim.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Canadian residents are taxed on income earned worldwide.  In most cases, you must pay taxes in the country where you earned the income.

• If you’re a resident, you must declare any income earned outside of Canada on your Canadian tax return

• You will be taxed on this income in Canada. However, in case you have paid tax outside of Canada on this income, you can claim the tax as a foreign tax credit. The foreign tax credit is not a refundable credit but will reduce your tax payable in Canada. 

• In order to report properly your non-Canadian income, be sure to keep records of all your payment documents and copies of your income and tax returns. Our advice is to complete your non-Canadian income tax return before you file in Canada in order to determine the foreign tax credit that you can claim.