Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Disappeared

HELP!

I prepared my youngest daughter's return, saved it and filed it. Got the confirmation number and printed it to a pdf file in the same directory.

I then prepared my eldest daughter's return, saved it and filed it. Got the confirmation number and also printed it to a pdf file in the same directory.

I then started preparing our returns, done jointly. When it got to importing the transferred tuition, it imported my eldest daughter's return only. It would not import from my youngest daughter's return.

I went to open up the PDF copy to see if I forgot to check off the box for transfer on the T2202 and the PDF file in my youngest daughters name held the information from my eldest daughter!

Worst of all, the .tt20 file is missing as well! As is the PDF copy of the confirmation number.

CRA says the file was received. My daughter got a notice it was filed. But the file is GONE!

Searching the computer shows pointers to the files in C:\Users\Laptop\Recent folder. They are not in the recycle bin. They are just gone.......

Anyone have any ideas of how to recover the file?

2 Replies

File Disappeared

Add to above, the Return Summary Viewer shows the return was done.

File Disappeared

Finally talk to a support person. TurboTax 2020 version has no backup file function, it was deleted. After a number of searches, he had me start the program, it had not been run since the start of the month, and first thing was an update download. Immediately after it said there was a message about an unfinished return and it was able to recover the tax information that was missing! So it looks like something glitched just before I transmitted the information to CRA, and whatever the update was, it was able to now recover. All is well now.