Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
navam428

How can I cancel my return?

i want to cancel my 2021 tax return file
1 Reply

How can I cancel my return?

If you’re using the online edition of TurboTax, it's possible to delete a return that hasn’t been filed. Returns that have already been filed (either by NETFILE or printed to mail) can't be deleted.

Note that when you delete a return, you won't be able to access it again and we won't be able to retrieve the information for you.

To ensure users don’t accidentally delete a return they’re working on, TurboTax prevents you from deleting your most recent “active” return. You can get around this by creating a blank return. The blank return will then be your most recent active return, and the return you want to delete will become inactive.

1. On the Great to see you again! screen displaying your tax return, select Start a new return from the navigation bar
  2. On the next screen, select the Free edition. Answer the question How did you do your taxes last year? and select Continue
  3. Select My Returns from the navigation bar, then select View all tax returns
  4. On the screen that displays your tax returns, you'll see two returns: the blank return you just created, and the return you want to delete. Locate the return you want to delete and select its corresponding trash can icon
  5. When prompted to confirm the deletion, select Delete

Related Information:

TurboTax FAQ on how to delete a return

Thank you for choosing Turbo Tax.