Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enter the Claim $400 Expenses in Turbo Tax Online If i worked from home due to COVID-19 using Temporary flat rate method?

Sorry to see you are having difficulties with the employment expenses entry. For the flat rate method to be activated in TurboTax Online, you enter your T4 and scroll down to the bottom where you will be asked: Will you claim employment expenses for working at home due to COVID-19 for income on this T4? NEW!  You will then click on Employment Expenses found lower in the menu on the left side of the screen to then answer yes on the right screen. On the Employment Expenses Profile page, check the option: I didn't receive either form from my employer. On the next screen Check the flat rate method and enter the number of days you worked from home.  

Thank you for using TurboTax.

parisvaca

How to enter the Claim $400 Expenses in Turbo Tax Online If i worked from home due to COVID-19 using Temporary flat rate method?

I still don’t see the ability to enter Covid work from home expenses on my online version.  When will that be available?

The checking of the box and selecting the $400 flat rate does not reduce anything on my wife and I's tax returns. There is problem with the online version of TurboTax.

Please advise.

@TurboTaxGinette  Ginette and other admins here - thank you so much for the helpful guidance/ advice! Following the Flat Rate Method I am able to enter 200 days of WFH which amounts to 200*$2 = $400 the max expense I can claim using this method. However, I see my Balance Owing drop by  only $172...I was expecting the Balance Owing to drop by $400 ......it feels the system is only set to give a 172/400= 43% actual deduction for a total  $400 Expense. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated here.

@fastfile7 I am experiencing the exact same issue, have you found a solution? @TurboTaxGinette 

Hi, I have received no response on this. It is quite disappointing.

I will try and see if Turbotax reachable by phone.

I am experiencing the same problem.  The TurboTax software will not allow us to input the flat rate.  Do you know when this will be resolved?  I have a number of clients in the queue pending resolution of this function in the software.

arusht123

I am having this issue as well too - cannot access the flat rate work from home. I get a T2200 from my employer so I don't want to select that I haven't received the form...

SEND HELP !

KodiacandMolly
Returning Member

My Turbo Tax will not let me claim the $400 flat amount.  It tells me I don't qualify for this.  What the hell????

I updated my TurboTax software to the latest as of this writing (Version 00.01.61 Build 6010 068G22). In the profile section, T4, I clicked "I had employee expenses, including for working from home due to Covid19". In the T4 section itself, where entering values, I have no "Will you claim employment expenses for working at home due to COVID-19 for income on this T4?" at the bottom as stated ...doesn't exist for me. After the T4, in "Employee Expenses Profile", I get a "Looks like you don't qualify for the employee expenses" If i click the "...worked from home for at 50%...", a partial T777 form opens below, however, i cannot enter the days worked from home... Please fix! Thank you.