Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm trying to use the free service to file my 2022 taxes, but am unable to proceed without adding a payment method

3 Replies

I'm trying to use the free service to file my 2022 taxes, but am unable to proceed without adding a payment method

It seems that you have been directed to an upgrade.

TurboTax is taking extra steps to ensure you have access to the right tools and support specific to your tax needs. 

When starting a new return, TurboTax will ask questions about your current tax situation. Based on your return's complexity, you could be directed to a different edition of TurboTax that has all the applicable forms. The product you used in prior years may no longer be available to you as it’s not the most effective solution for your needs.

Similarly, you may be upgraded to help claim expenses you’re entitled to, but might not know about. TurboTax guarantees that you’ll get your maximum refund or pay the lowest taxes owed.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Or TurboTax has an issue with their online version that is pushing people to upgrade when it is not needed. This happened to me and TurboTax will not offer a refund for the difference between Deluxe and Premier. We didn't need Premier! 

Would love to hear back from a TurboTax expert regarding this issue. @katherinetax

We would need to know what you were claiming in order to find out why they would have you upgrade- Does it give you an amount that it wants for you to pay? In order for you to be upgraded you would of had to enter any one of the following:  income and expenses from stocks, bonds, and cryptocurrency,

Covers rental property income and expenses, Covers capital gains and losses and Handles foreign income.

If you never had anyone of these please contact our phone support as they can view your return to see why the upgrade- Contact Us