Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do i report amount of money i paid to a private personal support worker?

2 Replies

According to CRA, you can deduct the costs of attendant care or facility care such as the amount paid to registered nurse, practical nurse, certified health care aide, personal support worker, etc. that you or your spouse or common-law partner paid as medical expenses. 

To begin, you can log in to your TurboTax account online version => click on the Find icon on the top right => type Medical Expense Profile => You will see the checkbox for Medical Receipts incurred either in 2020 or 2019 (1st Image) => the click on the necessary checkbox and press continue => Press Enter New Medical Expense => You will see the next page that tells you to enter your total medical expense amount (2nd Image), finally press Done With Medical Expense. 

To learn further information about Medical Expenses, Please click here. 

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

Any amount of money paid to a private PSW generally qualifies as a medical expense and can be claimed in either Line 33099 (for your self, spouse or children under 18) or Line 33199 (for parents, grandparents, children above 18 years of age, or other permitted relatives) of your tax return.

It is advisable that you read CRA's guide on medical expenses for more details. Please also be advised that you will need a couple of documentary evidences such as receipts for claiming the same. Also not every amount that you may pay to the attendant will necessarily qualify as a medical expense. You may read more about the same at - CRA : Attendant Care 

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team for further assistance or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.