Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kim18

Should I file as self-employed? Can I use the simplified method to calculated my meal deduction at 50%?

I am a pilot truck driver in the transportation industry and work away from home for long periods & must cover my own expenses like food, special clothing, trainings etc  .I am paid commissions with no deductions taken off.(EI, CPP etc)  No T4 will be issued.  Also ... If Self-employed, can I use the simplified method ($17 / meal) to calculated my meal expense amount? 

1 Reply

Should I file as self-employed? Can I use the simplified method to calculated my meal deduction at 50%?

You should be filing as Self-Employed reporting your income and expenses on the T2125 - Statement of Business Activities. When you file this way, you are still contributing to CPP,  with the remittance being submitted with your tax return.

You are not eligible to claim for your meals using the "simplified method" of $17 per meal. This is only for employees in the transport industry. Self-employed persons can claim 50% of their meals and must have receipts to make this claim. (Note Long Haul truck drivers are eligible for 80% deduction).

A complete list of eligible business expenses can be found in this link to the CRA information: https://bit.ly/2EDc2vB