Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yeuchetnews
Returning Member

Should I report income from a damage award when filing my 2023 tax return, or should I wait until I receive the tax slip?

I received a damage award cheque late December 2023. However, I have not yet received any tax slip for the award yet from the employer. Should I report this income when filing my 2023 tax return, or should I wait until I receive the tax slip for this income?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should I report income from a damage award when filing my 2023 tax return, or should I wait until I receive the tax slip?

It would depend on what the damage award was for. If it was for personal injury, then the award is not taxable. If the amount is for something like unpaid overtime or a similar compensation issue, then the damage award would be taxed. 

If this amount is taxable, then you should have a slip by now. Check your CRA My Account to see if it is there, or contact the employer to ask for the slip.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

It would depend on what the damage award was for. If it was for personal injury, then the award is not taxable. If the amount is for something like unpaid overtime or a similar compensation issue, then the damage award would be taxed. 

If this amount is taxable, then you should have a slip by now. Check your CRA My Account to see if it is there, or contact the employer to ask for the slip.

yeuchetnews
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply! The award is for unpaid overtime and I heard that it is taxable, but I didn't receive a T4 slip from the employer. I checked my CRA account and did not find any slips related to this award, so I'm not quite sure if I should report this income as 'other income' for the 2023 tax return or wait until I receive the T4 slip and include it for the 2024 tax return.

yeuchetnews
Returning Member

If you received the amount in 2023, then it should go onto your 2023 return. Again, contact the employer to ask for the slip, or contact the lawyer or whoever helped you get this award to see about getting a slip. 

If you don't get a slip in time, you can enter the amount as Other Employment Income.

yeuchetnews
Returning Member

Thanks for the clarification! I'll contact my employer.