Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oscar2

Summer Camp Receipts - do I need a special tax receipt from the service provider or regular receipt will suffice?

DO I ask the service provider for a receipt for tax purposes or the receipt I kept will be enough in case of audit?

Also the City of Ottawa for all the camps I registered last year they stated clearly that the receipt cannot be used for taxes. While I am able to claim similar expenses I am not sure why would the city do that. Anyone had this issue?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Summer Camp Receipts - do I need a special tax receipt from the service provider or regular receipt will suffice?

CRA allows you to claim child care expenses for day camps and day sports schools where the primary goal of the camp is to care for children. So if the camps you registered your child/children fall in this category, this should be a legitimate claim. 

If your child attended an overnight camp, you may not be able to claim the entire expense because of the expense caps and limits per week, but you should still be able to claim them.

I am unsure why the City would state the receipts could not be used for taxes, possibly because these camps do not meet the CRA qualifications as child care? If they do meet the requirements, a receipt made out to the person who paid the expenses, describing the camp and the child's name who attended will be accepted by CRA. 

Here's a link to some more information from TurboTax: https://bit.ly/2TTqEPL

View solution in original post

1 Reply

CRA allows you to claim child care expenses for day camps and day sports schools where the primary goal of the camp is to care for children. So if the camps you registered your child/children fall in this category, this should be a legitimate claim. 

If your child attended an overnight camp, you may not be able to claim the entire expense because of the expense caps and limits per week, but you should still be able to claim them.

I am unsure why the City would state the receipts could not be used for taxes, possibly because these camps do not meet the CRA qualifications as child care? If they do meet the requirements, a receipt made out to the person who paid the expenses, describing the camp and the child's name who attended will be accepted by CRA. 

Here's a link to some more information from TurboTax: https://bit.ly/2TTqEPL