Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4A from Government, not sure where scholarship money is from (box 105)

I got a T4A from the Government of Canada. Only box filled out is box 105 with an amount. I don't remember getting any scholarships or bursaries. It does not match up with what I got from OSAP. How do I verify this?

3 Replies

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) T4A slip: Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income the amount in box 105 is usually from Scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, and artists' project grants.

Contacting the OSAP for more information would help you find out what the amount is. If further help is required you may Contact the Canada Revenue Agency.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

DeniSue

My daughte got a T4A from the Govt of Alberta, not sure where the money is from but it says to use Box 105. How do I know which Box 105 to use?

As per our TurboTax FAQ: Your Complete Guide to the T4A Tax Slip 

Box 105 – Scholarships, bursaries, fellowships, artists’ project grants, and prizes

You may have heard a rumour that your scholarship/bursary is tax-free. Not quite – but close!

If you were a full-time student, your scholarship/bursary income is exempt from tax in most cases in all provinces except Quebec. However, you do need to enter the T4A information on your tax return. So when you enter your T4A income, choose the option for Box 105 that applies to FT students to make sure you’re not paying tax on this tax-exempt income.

If you were a part-time student, some or all of your T4A scholarship/bursary income may be exempt. At least $500 will be exempt in most cases. How much exactly depends on how much your courses cost and how much scholarship/bursary income you received.

If more help is needed, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.