Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is the 1st time I am doing my taxes myself. The question I am on is asking if I am filing an income tax with the CRA for the first time? How would I know this?

How do I find out if I have filed my income tax with the CRA before? If I do my taxes every year, would I say 'no' to this question?
1 Reply

This is the 1st time I am doing my taxes myself. The question I am on is asking if I am filing an income tax with the CRA for the first time? How would I know this?

If you ever submitted (or had someone submit for you) an income tax return to the CRA, then you would have gotten a Notice Of Assessment telling you that they have processed your return. These would be mailed out to you, unless you have chosen the electronic only option in My Account. But, you would need to have filed a return at least once to have a My Account, so that would be another thing that would tell you that you have already filed a return before.

You would answer "No" to the question if you have ever submitted (or had someone submit for you) an income tax return, even if you didn't do it every year.