Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbotax says I must upgrade to "Self-Employed" package but neither my partner nor I are self-employed.

It says we have "communal income"? What would that be? I don't think we do.
3 Replies

Turbotax says I must upgrade to "Self-Employed" package but neither my partner nor I are self-employed.

Do you have a T3 slip on your return? If so, make that you have not entered any amounts in the box that says “Amount of communal income reported in box 26”.

If you have a business (self-employment), make sure you have answered NO to the question “Is this self-employment income from a communal organization…?” that is just above the Calculation of cost of goods sold section.

We have no T3 slips with amounts in the box that says “Amount of communal income reported in box 26”.

Neither of us is self-employed. TurboTax will not let me proceed without this upgrade, which seems to be based on something incorrect. Really annoyed.

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.