Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I enter the T4A info for self-employed income? The income page of the self employed section won't let me change the T4A slip amount. It just stays at $0.00

I know where the T4A section is in Income, but when I enter the T4A there, it doesn't link it to the self employed section to be connected to the business and its expenses.
13 Replies

Where do I enter the T4A info for self-employed income? The income page of the self employed section won't let me change the T4A slip amount. It just stays at $0.00

You need to enter the income on the T4A slip page. Then TurboTax will automatically create a business page for that T4A. If you have another business page filled out already, then just put the basic info on the T4A business page. The income and expenses from the two businesses will be combined into one net self-employment figure.

Thanks I've got it working now.

shippy123

Do I really need to upgrade and pay $120.00 if I have a T4A?

If you receive a T4A with amounts reported in Box 20 or Box 48, it means that you have earned self-employment income. Therefore, you will be considered self-employed for tax purposes. If this is the case, you will need to upgrade to the self-employed version of TurboTax to accurately report your income and expenses.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

My son who is a student, received a T4A for work at a summer job. When entering the T4A on his behalf, Turbo Tax prompts me to enter business information. He is a student and does not have a business. How should I proceed with entering the T4A?

You will need to enter his name as business name and home address as business address. You won't need to complete anything else on that page. 

If the T4(A) has one of the following boxes 28 or 48 with an amount in it CRA automatically considers them to be self-employed.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

There is only one box with info- box 48.

Will this calculate taxes owed and be included in his return or is there another form to be filled out? 

If he received a T4(A) with an amount in box 48- then you will only enter that amount on that slip. It will then automatically have you go to the T2125 self-employed section. 

Upon filling out the T2125, it is asking for information that we do not have to be able to complete the form. Example: GST number, business number.  There are no expenses.

Do you have any advice for how to complete this step when there is no GST #. Etc, that people who own a business have?

I am at a loss for how to proceed and get the taxes filed, as Turbo tax gives me errors when trying to file that are related to the missing info.