Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is turbo tax asking for my spouse's 2022 tax return info ....that is not possible to provide when we are just completing 2022 returns!

Turbo tax needs to correct its fields!
3 Replies

Why is turbo tax asking for my spouse's 2022 tax return info ....that is not possible to provide when we are just completing 2022 returns!

If you are married, you will need to provide your spouse’s 2022 income even if you are preparing your returns separately. If you don’t know what it is, you can enter an estimate to continue your return. Then when your spouse has completed their return you can go back and put the correct income in before you file.

My question is why is Turbo Tax asking for the Net income from my spouse's 2022 federal tax return (Line 23600)...we are just now completing the 2022 tax returns....I can not give the amount on line 23600...please look at your program, I cannot estimate, your system gives an error message and I can not progress!!!! 

Your spouse's income is needed for a number of reasons, like eligibility for certain credits or deductions, handling property you own together, etc…

If you can't estimate what your spouse's income is, then enter 17350 as the net income. Or, if you say your spouse has zero income, don't claim the spousal amount. Either way, remember to change it when you have the correct number. 

This is why we recommend that spouses prepare their returns together - the software will automatically enter and adjust this number.