Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is TurboTax saying I will be charged $42 for a spousal return when I already purchased Turbotax Deluxe with the ability to file 8 returns?

5 Replies

Why is TurboTax saying I will be charged $42 for a spousal return when I already purchased Turbotax Deluxe with the ability to file 8 returns?

Did you enter your activation code at turbotax.ca/activate before starting your returns?

Yes, I did.

Did you add anything to the return that is not included in Deluxe, like Self-Employment Income, Foreign Income, Investment Income or Rental Income? If so then your return will be upgraded to whatever version is necessary. You'll then have to pay the difference between a Deluxe return and the upgrade. If you are preparing your return with a spouse/partner, then that counts as two returns, and both will be upgraded. 

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 4.17.51 PM.pngI have't made it to the screen yet in order to add anything that might not be in the deluxe version. It gives me the price at this stage. However, it indicates Deluxe 2023 on the left hand side of the screen. I haven't filed any taxes yet, so haven't used up any of the 8 I can file with this version. I bought the deluxe version because it says it's great for families. It didn't say that you couldn't file as a spousal return.

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.