Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imvo101
Returning Member

Why Turbotax doesn't calculate CPP overpayment?

I live in BC, but work in Quebec, as such I get QPP deducted instead of CPP. My QPP contribution ($4,038.40) is greater than the max CPP contribution ($3,754.45), but Turbotax is not calculating the CPP overpayment. Note that the EI/QPIP overpayment was calculated correctly. 

11 Replies
sarac1
Returning Member

Hi there! 

Hope you are doing well. That is a fantastic question! As you live in BC while working in Quebec, I am going to make the assumption that you work remotely. As of this, taxes are collected based on your employer's province but payable based on the province where you reside in, which is BC. The overpayment will get rectified once you submit your 2023 tax return. 

imvo101
Returning Member

This is correct, but unfortunately doesn't answer the question. Why is Turbotax adjusting income taxes overpaid including EI/QPIP, but not CPP/QPP.

Can you please make sure that you entered your province as BC and your T4 you entered Quebec.

imvo101
Returning Member

On my T4, province of employment is QC, but yes BC was selected as my province of residence. As mentioned, income tax and EI have been readjusted correctly. It's only the CPP that is incorrect. 

I think there's a calculation error on the form RC381. Line 49 says 4038.40 but it should be 3,754.45

1.png

Line 49 is the sum of lines 45 & 48 which equals $4038.40, that form is correct.

Go to the left-hand side of your return and click on the drop-down arrow below the amount of refund/owing you have- then choose View detailed tax summary line 44800- CPP overpayment.

imvo101
Returning Member

Line 44800 isn't shown. but I do see line 45000 for Employment insurance overpayment $228.14. As I mentioned, income tax and EI are adjusted correctly, but not CPP.

Do you mean that there is a zero in that box?

imvo101
Returning Member

I see line 43700 and 45000 but I do NOT see 44800 whatsoever (it's just not there at all).

Can you see it, when you do the steps above?