Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When starting a home based business we needed to complete electrical upgrades, install a furnace in the space and add an access door. Where I would claim these expenses?

We had renovation expenses needed to create a business space in our attached garage. Does anyone out there know where I would claim these expenses as they were only installed as a direct need for the business? 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When starting a home based business we needed to complete electrical upgrades, install a furnace in the space and add an access door. Where I would claim these expenses?

You must complete a Form T2125: Statement of Business Activities. Only minimal entries are required; the business name can be your name and the business address can be your home address.

Your expenses should be claimed under Part 5 Maintenance and repairs.

Here is a tax tip link on T2125  https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/small-business-tax-tips-filing-a-t2125-4119   

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You must complete a Form T2125: Statement of Business Activities. Only minimal entries are required; the business name can be your name and the business address can be your home address.

Your expenses should be claimed under Part 5 Maintenance and repairs.

Here is a tax tip link on T2125  https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/small-business-tax-tips-filing-a-t2125-4119   

Jester9661
Returning Member

Can someone confirm if this answer is correct?

I have a very similar situation requiring electrical upgrades in order to run my home business.  Under Maintenance and Repairs, however, TurboTax specifically says "Do not enter the cost of major building additions or renovations... here.  You will enter these amounts elsewhere."

I'm not sure what constitutes a "major" renovation (is their a specific dollar amount?).  And, where is the "elsewhere" that it refers to, because I have not been able to find renovations mentioned anywhere else in TurboTax.

Thanks