Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove spouse from return form (Online free version)

How can I remove my spouse from a return that I have not yet filed. In the online free Turbotax version I do not see any option to do so.
Thanks
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

• On the Home screen, open the Personal Information tab. 
  • In the Personal information window: 
    • change your marital status to "single".
    • Select Next to save the change. 
    • Enter your marital status again as "married". 
    • This time, when you enter your status as married, be sure to select "no" when asked "Do you want to prepare your returns together". 

Note that when you make this change, you'll lose the information you've entered so far and you'll have to re-enter it. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Did you enter that you want to file together and you no longer wish to?

Initially I entered that I want to do a combined return. But, after I spoke with CRA, they recommended to file my return only. (My wife does not have to file a return as she is non-resident during 2016).

• On the Home screen, open the Personal Information tab. 
  • In the Personal information window: 
    • change your marital status to "single".
    • Select Next to save the change. 
    • Enter your marital status again as "married". 
    • This time, when you enter your status as married, be sure to select "no" when asked "Do you want to prepare your returns together". 

Note that when you make this change, you'll lose the information you've entered so far and you'll have to re-enter it. 

Ok I am going to do the same. Can I ask another question in continuation here. I was in Canada for more than 183 days and also had income during that time but left Canada before December 31, 2016. (I am outside Canada since then. I also do not have any Canadian or foreign source income since that time). What should I select under "Province of residence on December 31, 2016"?
I really appreciate your help.
Thanks

You put your most recent province of residence.
Then, at the prompt "If you moved into or away from Canada during 2016, it is likely that your  residency  has changed. Did your Canadian residency change in 2016?", select Yes and enter the relevant dates.
SharkIng

This solution isn't work

If you have answered that you wanted to do a joint return and have already entered your spouses' information then you will need to start a new return.

RCrash

Just hit the same time sinkhole.  Unless I am missing something DO NOT link returns in turbotax.  Here is why - 

1. when you get to the autoimport area from CRA, you will NOT be able to get the spouse account info uploaded, likely due to security reasons.  Even if you have all the passwords at CRA and Turbotax

2. once you fail to upload, you will have to enter all of the spousal manually, introducing a big potential opportunity for errors and confusion between files

3. you cannot then go back and fix with a simple "do not file returns together" option - it is not anywhere

4. you cannot file the one return at this point without the other

So - you are cooked at this point and have to start a new return, throwing in the dustbin whatever hours you spent entering it all (for two people) the first time. 

Perhaps I am missing something, but the messages here seem to say the same thing.  No way to de-link and file alone once you hit that error message.  

Its a Big Bad Bug.