Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nanajudy

My husband is a Us Citizen and he files his taxes there. Why do I get a credit for him on my taxes even though he makes no income in Canada?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My husband is a Us Citizen and he files his taxes there. Why do I get a credit for him on my taxes even though he makes no income in Canada?

You shouldn't be getting a credit in this case. You will need to enter his US income so the spousal credit isn't calculated, When you  fill out the info about your spouse, you'll need to claim his "net Income". It's especially important to do this so you don't get any credits you're not entitled to. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You shouldn't be getting a credit in this case. You will need to enter his US income so the spousal credit isn't calculated, When you  fill out the info about your spouse, you'll need to claim his "net Income". It's especially important to do this so you don't get any credits you're not entitled to.