Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cash out refi of primary or loan on rental property

Im buying a vacation rental and wondering which affords the better mortgage interest tax deduction. Getting a cash out refinance of my primary for the purchase or getting a regular purchase mortgage on the rental property? The interest rates are higher on the rental property loan.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You can’t deduct the interest from the refinance unless the loan is used to buy, build, or substantially improve the property that secures the loan. 

Thank you 

The mortgage payment for the vacation rental is about $200 more per month than it would be if I do a cash out on my primary residence. 

Does the mortgage interest expense deduction associated  with putting a loan on the investment property justify the higher monthly payment? Im in the 32% tax bracket. 
Thank you 

Your question addresses only one aspect of your financial situation. At your income level you would be well advised to consult a certified financial advisor to consider your entire financial situation and goals. 

Refinance or take out a second loan?  

Do you Itemize?

As was mentioned, at your income level, it is in your best interest to go to a good tax professional and/or financial advisor that can look at your ENTIRE situation, rather than asking random people on the internet with limited knowledge about your specific circumstances.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies