Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My boyfriend & I own a rental property jointly. We file separate returns. I calculated rental income/expenses/depreciation at 50% for each of us. Why doesn't schedule E worksheet reflect joint ownership and 50% ownership?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
NancyG

My boyfriend & I own a rental property jointly. We file separate returns. I calculated rental income/expenses/depreciation at 50% for each of us. Why doesn't schedule E worksheet reflect joint ownership and 50% ownership?

If you split the expenses before entering them, the program will only show the amounts you entered.

If you would like to show 100% and then the 50% split, TurboTax can split the income and expenses for you. 

As you go through the rental property step-by-step interview, it will ask you about your ownership; 100% or less than 100%. You will select "less than 100%" and follow the prompts.

You can find the option to enter your rental income and expenses under the Rental Properties and Royalties section of the Wages and Income tab. 

The interview will ask if you want to calculate the split income and expenses, or if you would like TurboTax to do it. 

If you choose TurboTax, it will ask you to define your ownership percentage and then you will enter 100% amounts of your income and expenses.  

If you choose to do it yourself, you will need to be sure to make your calculations prior to entering them into TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies