Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jbsliwka

I purchased a LLC in 2020. It is run as a disregarded entity. Where can I show my purchase of it? Do I depreciate that investment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I purchased a LLC in 2020. It is run as a disregarded entity. Where can I show my purchase of it? Do I depreciate that investment?

This is one of those situations where professional assistance may be wise if you don't know what you are doing  ... so your answer depends on what you actually bought ... did you and the seller fill in and file a form 8954 ? 

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8594

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/sale-of-a-business

I have the same question (I bought a small biz and it's disregarded for tax purposes). Should I use Turbo tax to e-file all my tax returns, except for form 8594? Or should I print everything out from Turbo tax, and mail them together with form 8594?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should attach the  Form 8594 Asset Acquisition statement to your business tax return when you file it. If you are using the TurboTax Business software to file a partnership or corporate return, you will find the form in the program so you can e-file it with the tax return. If you are filing a schedule C for sole-proprietorship income or single member LLC, you will need to print and mail your return as the Form 8594 is not available in the personal TurboTax programs.

You should enter the assets purchased by cost in the asset entry section of the program so they can be depreciated. Goodwill will be also be entered as a section 179 intangible asset and amortized over a period of fifteen years. You enter both of these in the year the business was purchased.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies