Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

candh96
Returning Member

RSU sell to cover for 2021

My employer reports all of my RSU sales on my W-2 - including sell-to-cover sales.  When entering info into TurboTax, however, I'm not sure that I have the correct remaining gains being reported.  Should I be entering the net proceeds for Box 1D in these sell-to-cover transactions, rather than the gross proceeds that show on the 1099-B? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RaifH
Expert Alumni

RSU sell to cover for 2021

You can report the gross proceeds shown on Form 1099-B in Box1D and then adjust the cost basis so that the net proceeds end up being correct, which should result in a minimal gain or loss on the transaction. To do this in TurboTax:

1. In the Federal > Income & Expenses > Investment Income section of your return, click Start/Revisit next to Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other (1099-B)
  2. Answer Yes and then select stocks. Import or enter your transactions manually. 
  3. For the RSU transactions, make sure to select Yes to Do these sales include any employee stock?
  4. Enter the transactions as they appear on the 1099-B with RSU selected as the type of investment.
  5. If the basis reported on the 1099-B is not correct, you will be able to adjust it to match the supplemental information provided on the next screen. If you can't find the adjusted basis in the supplemental information, TurboTax will help you calculate it.

For more information on RSUs and how to report them, please see this TurboTax article.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies