Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

prskier17

We currently own two properties with mortgages, a primary residence and a rental. Can we deduct interest on additional home for personal use?

We deduct mortgage interest and property taxes on our primary residence.  Our rental property is used 100% for rental and we claim the rental income and deduct expenses, mortgage interest, and property taxes.

We are considering purchasing (with a loan) a boat that qualifies as a home (sleeping, toilet, and cooking) and are wondering if we can deduct loan interest on the boat.

My understanding is that we can deduct interest on two homes.  Does the rental property count as one or not?  I searched but couldn't find an answer to this.  I am hoping that we can deduct interest on our primary residence and the boat and also continue to deduct interest and property taxes (while claiming the income) on the rental property.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We currently own two properties with mortgages, a primary residence and a rental. Can we deduct interest on additional home for personal use?

You enter the rental income and expenses, to include the rental property mortgage interest expense, on Schedule E.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for rentals - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894483-where-do-i-enter-income-and-expenses-from-a-rental-propert...

You enter the mortgage interest on your personal residence on Schedule A as an itemized deduction.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You enter the rental income and expenses, to include the rental property mortgage interest expense, on Schedule E.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for rentals - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894483-where-do-i-enter-income-and-expenses-from-a-rental-propert...

You enter the mortgage interest on your personal residence on Schedule A as an itemized deduction.

The rental is not a personal residence so it does not count as one of your personal homes.
prskier17

Correct, primary residence is on Schedule A and rental on Schedule E.  I'm likely over-thinking this but wanted to make sure the rental property doesn't count as one of our homes.  Wow, thanks for the quick answers!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies