Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A) First time reporting income from trading (as either capital gains or trading as a business.) Can I just report overall gain in Schedule 3, avoiding 2,000 T5008 forms ?

a) My first time reporting income from trading (as either capital gains or day trading as a business.) I just spoke with a guy at Softron (in Toronto) who said the ACB calculation for reporting as a business is the same as for capital gains (the only difference being 100% vs. 50% taxable.) Do you think this is correct ?

b) He also indicates he'd have to generate a T5008 entry for each trade. There are over 2000 crypto transactions (many of which are small, inconsequential) , which I have already tabulated using the Koinly crypto tax platform. I thought I would just report the overall gain in Schedule 3, keeping my individual trade records in case of audit. Does it seem right to require a T5008 entry for each trade ?
1 Reply

A) First time reporting income from trading (as either capital gains or trading as a business.) Can I just report overall gain in Schedule 3, avoiding 2,000 T5008 forms ?

As a day trader your income is considered business income. Therefore you will report your income under the T2125- as a business income. In the Business section you will be able to enter your profit or losses. If its a negative it will reduce other source of income. There is no capital gain as  a day trader. 

As a trader you can claim business expenses.

You will not enter your T5008 slips- only report your income on the T2125.  

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.