Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nqhuu13

A husband is deemed to a Canadian resident, a wife is non resident, but on the system, it's assumed a wife is a Canadian resident. How can I change it?

3 Replies

A husband is deemed to a Canadian resident, a wife is non resident, but on the system, it's assumed a wife is a Canadian resident. How can I change it?

TurboTax is unable to choose residency status, it has to be selected. In the section for selecting the province where you live, scroll to the bottom and choose non-resident under your wife's profile. Then make the appropriate selection when completing/entering your wife's information. See screenshot attached

nqhuu13

Hi Admin,

I am using Turbo tax Online in 2018. The screen you shared to me is completely different with my screen. This is a step showed by Turbo tax online in 2018. There is nothing mentioned about it.  When I do my income tax, the software ask her information. I fill them in. My wife is non-resident, I don't need create her profile.Because I add her in, total tax refund is different without her. It means the system assume her status is Canadian resident. Can you please help me?

Capture.PNG

If you continue it will ask if you live together and if she is a resident.