Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xhaos

Do I pay the capital gain tax at the time of sale (i.e. at closing) or after declaring the capital gain on my tax declaration for the year in which I sold the property?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I pay the capital gain tax at the time of sale (i.e. at closing) or after declaring the capital gain on my tax declaration for the year in which I sold the property?

Any capital gain realized in a taxation year is reported at the time of filing the tax return for the relevant taxation year and any taxes owing for the year (that would include a tax payable component attributable to the taxable gain reported) is paid at the time of filing the return (by the appropriate tax filing deadline date for the return).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Any capital gain realized in a taxation year is reported at the time of filing the tax return for the relevant taxation year and any taxes owing for the year (that would include a tax payable component attributable to the taxable gain reported) is paid at the time of filing the return (by the appropriate tax filing deadline date for the return).