Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As a nurse who relocated to Manitoba, I got a 5k relocation assistance payment from the provincial government, do I have to declare that in my return?

As a nurse who relocated to Manitoba, I got a 5k relocation assistance payment from the provincial government, do I have to declare that in my return?
2 Replies

Did you receive a tax information slip showing this amount? What was the name of the slip and which box was the amount entered in?

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) this income may not be taxable if from an employer: Moving expenses paid by employer that are not a taxable benefit 

As you mentioned it was from the government and this CRA link here mentions different: Moving allowance – Non-accountable moving allowances

We suggest you enquire with the CRA to clarify if the relocation assistance payment you received is in fact taxable income or not by calling 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. 

Thank you for your great response. No tax information slip was received. Manitoba government actually gave nurses some money during covid period 2020 and 2021 tax years and I received tax information slips for those. In fact those payments were already populated online for me while filing my return in 2020 and 2021. Nothing received or populated online for this relocation payment. Thank you.